One heck of a trekking!
Last Saturday, 25 February 2017, I went trekking with my brothers, cousins and friends to Kabang Falls and attempted to get to Mt Kan-Irag (Sirao Peak).
We were a bit apprehensive at first because we took the hardest road going to Kabang falls. But what’s the use of going adventure if you want to take the easier path?
Actually, we got lost after arriving at Kabang Falls going to Sirao Peak and we found out that the best pathway after we had drained our energy and water. Since, we love challenges, we just enjoyed our adventure and I can tell you, it was the best adventure I had in my entire life.
So, here’s the complete guide as I love you all guys and I don’t want you getting lost. Hope this post helps you.
How to get to Kabang Falls
After a short prayer for safety, security, and protection from Jesus, we headed off into the light forest that leads to the base of Budlaan River System.
We hiked for about more than 30 minutes from jump off point before we reached Budlaan Falls and another hour to reach Kabang Falls. In order to avoid getting lost, just follow the trail of the falls.
How to get to Mt. Kan-Irag (Sirao Peak)
Actually, we’ve firstly decided to go to Sirao Peak after our adventure in Budlaan. We climbed and hiked again. We followed the trail of the falls but we aborted our plan of traversing to Sirao Peak. We ran out of time, we drank all our waters and were VERY hungry. So next time, I included the list of tips below that you need to follow.
We didn’t dip into the falls. So after a few minutes of resting, we need to climb up the rocks again.
If you are running out of water or foods, you need to take the easy road. There were stores that were selling food and drinks. Facing this dam, you need to go to the left side until you will reach the step trail. In that case, that is the easiest route going to Sirao. I also recommend that road (if you think that your energy is almost drained).
It turned out to be a trail search for us because we were first-timers.
Sometimes, you will also see other trekkers or even people living in Budlaan that travels to Sirao Peak so we asked some details that will be helpful for our trek next time.
From my own calculation, I have here the itinerary.
11: 00 – 11: 10 Habal- habal to jump-off
11: 10 – 12: 00 Trek to falls (Baogo Trail)
12: 00 – 1: 00 Lunch by the falls. Take a nap if you want.
1: 00 – 2: 00 Trek to water source
In going to Sirao, I have asked the ETA from my friends who went there.
2:00- 2: 45 You can trek to and stopover at Brgy Sirao
2: 45 – 4: 30 Trek to Mt. Kan-Irag
4: 30 – 5: 30 Relax at Sirao Peak
5: 30 – 6: 15 Get down to Ayala Heights
6: 15 – 7: 00 Habal- habal to JY Square Mall
- Start trekking in the morning, around 8AM – 9AM is recommended time.
- Bring anything that can protect you from the heat of the sun
- Sunblock or lotion
- Avoid wearing short- shorts if you think it’s too hot.
- Wear waterproof shoes with an aggressive tread. Highly recommended!
- Bring extra clothes with undies- Surely, you will sweat like you’ve never experience before.
- Water – 1 liter is not enough if you want to continue going to Sirao, bring 2 liters of water each person.
- Or bring beverages that are filled with ions like Gatorade, Powerade or etc.
- Food – Avoid eating sweet foods as it will just increase the intake of water. One small chocolate bar is enough. (Only for trekkers with not enough water). These foods will also really help you a lot.
- Jacket/Raincoat (In case of sudden rain)
- Extra cash
“It’s okay to get lost every once in a while, sometimes getting lost is how we find the best direction”.